Mindfulness is an important skill to help you move through life with a better perspective. Today, I am sharing ways of learning mindfulness to connect more deeply with life.
What is Mindfulness?
According to the Mayo Clinic website:
Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
Historically, mindfulness is a Buddhist practice but has become more mainstream in New Thought and Spiritual seeking communities.
In the December Science of Mind Magazine, author Julie Mierau outlined Five Mindfulness Training practices.
We can all learn mindfulness by committing to the following:
- Reverence for Life: Cultivate openness, nondiscrimination, and non-attachments to transform violence, fanaticism, and dogmatism.
- True Happiness: Practice generosity in thinking, speaking, and acting to reduce the suffering of living beings.
- True Love: Learning appropriate ways to express sexual energy and cultivating loving-kindness, compassion, joy, and inclusiveness.
- Loving Speech and Deep Listening: Expressing in loving speech and compassionate listening to promote reconciliation and peace
- Nourishment and Healing: Cultivating good health by practicing mindful eating and drinking
Mindfulness practices, such as those above, are skills I am developing as part of my Spiritual Coaching Training through the Planned Happiness Institute taught by Rev. Dr. Michelle Wadleigh from CSL North Jersey.
Through this training, I am learning to listen deeper, think before I speak, and have compassion for others in all circumstances.
After over six months of intensive training, we learned new ways to coach those stuck in the destructive cycle of unforgiveness. Rev. Michelle is partnering with each potential coach to offer free sessions for interested clients. She is offering this as Coaches-in-Training sessions.
If you are interested in scheduling a session with one of our coaches, you can sign up at the link below. If you want to have a session with me, you are welcome to request me personally. Otherwise, you will be paired with one of the other coaches-in-training.