The spiritual practice of visioning, not to be confused with visualization, is the ‘brainchild’ of Rev. Dr. Michael Bernard Beckwith, minister and founder of the Agape International Spiritual Center in Culver City (LA area) which has over 8.000 members. He was originally ordained in Religious Science in 1985, but broke away and developed his church as an independent New Thought organization.
Visioning is a process by which we train ourselves to be able to hear, feel, see and catch God’s plan for our life or for any particular project we’re working on … it is based on the idea that we’re not here to tell God what to do or to ask God for things but to absolutely be available for what God is already doing, to open ourselves up to catch what’s already happening.
Visioning, which is unlike visualization (although you can use the two together), you transcend limited thinking and align with Divine Wisdom. Using visioning sessions is opening yourself to becoming a co-creator in your life or project. It is always about becoming, not necessarily about doing.
Conducting visioning sessions work as a wonderful tool to help direct a group, organization or team to align with the wisdom and direction for your collective group. Other benefits of visioning are …
- Spirit within becomes the guiding force of every activity and decision “Visioning lets the presence of God use us.” (Michael Bernard Beckwith)
- Access the bigger picture in your life or organization
- Experience a deeper connection with Spirit (like all Spiritual Practices) which can transform your life
- Helps us shift our perception of reality
- Transforms ourselves in the process
Michael formulated a list of questions to use during a visioning session. Like a guided meditation, these questions can be presented while leaving time for Spirit to speak to you or the individuals in your group or organization.
Questions to use during a visioning session
- What is the Highest Vision in the Mind of God for your life or group?
- What form does this take? What does it look like, feel like, sound like?
- What is my part in the fulfillment of this vision?
- What must be released?
- What must be embraced?
- Is there anything else to be known at this time?
Make sure to leave time between each question to open your senses to all Spirit is saying to you. Writing down your insights is helpful for later review.